Academic Overview for Athletic Training
Athletic Training Major
The athletic training major is housed within the department of health and human sciences and is designed for individuals looking to prepare for an allied health career in athletic training. In addition, the major in athletic training provides an added avenue for students interested in pursuing graduate studies in physical therapy or occupational therapy.
This major consists of 56 credits from the following courses: ES 249, 250, 251, 252, 300, 320, 335, 351, 352, 353, 354, 355, 356, 450, 451, 452, and 453 and BIOL 112, 305 and 314.
Students are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and complete the application process to the department of health and human sciences following their third semester on campus (January 15th each year is the deadline). Additionally, students must complete clinical experiences under the supervision of a Bridgewater College approved clinical instructor and successfully complete the clinical competencies and proficiencies and the five clinical affiliations.
A transfer student applying for admissions into the Bridgewater College athletic training education program must have a minimum of a 2.5 cumulative grade point average and must have meet the admissions requirements for transfer students (Technical Standards Form; ES 249, ES 250 and BIOL 305; 200 observational hours; essay; application and interview). No student will be admitted into the program without successful completion of the pre-placement phase. Credentials collected for admission include all of those that are required for first time entering students as well as dean's reference form (included with a letter from the director of enrollment operations acknowledging receipt of the application) and an official transcript from each institution of higher learning attended since completion of the secondary program.
Transcripts will be evaluated by the registrar on a course-by-course basis. Credit will be awarded only for those courses that a grade of C or above has been earned. The only course that may be transferred in within the athletic training major is ES 250. All other courses for this major must be taken at Bridgewater College. Other general education requirements may be transferred based on the above criteria.
- Complete a minimum of 123 credits with a minimum of 48 credits chosen from junior-senior level courses.
- Complete course requirements for athletic training.
- Earn a minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5 and a minimum grade point average of 2.5 in courses required for the major.
- Complete general education requirements.
- Successful completion of the Clinical Competencies and Proficiencies.
- Successful completion of the five Clinical Affiliations (introduction to athletic training, upper extremity intensive sports, lower extremity intensive sports, equipment intensive sports, and medical intensive rotation).
Following successful completion of this program, a student will be eligible to sit for the Board of Certification (BOC) exam.