Athletic Training Outcomes and Placement
Bridgewater College athletic training program: We know you're going somewhere because our history proves it!
Let’s face it, you want to get a job or go to graduate school after you graduate from college. You want to invest in an education and an institution that is committed to preparing you for the world beyond a bachelor’s degree. Bridgewater College is one of the best colleges that offer athletic training education and has enjoyed a lot of success in the last ten years helping students lay the foundations to their future. Even in tough economic times, the country refuses to give up sports - with sports comes the need to treat injuries and enhance performance. As a graduate of the athletic training education program, you will be prepared to meet those needs by taking a job or going to graduate school. Our faculty and staff have worked in nearly every environment that athletic trainers are employed. We have strong connections - we will help you achieve your goals.
Beyond Undergraduate Degrees
Every school can have a good year placing their students. Not many programs can say that 98% of their graduates are placed before August in the same year they graduate. Even fewer can say that 80% of its graduates are placed before they accept their diploma.
Bridgewater College athletic training education program can say just that, in the last 10 years, nearly every student has known where they were going to school or work at the time of graduation.
Past success isn’t a guarantee of future success but a decade of data certainly is a great indicator.
Nationally, about 70% of athletic trainers have a master’s degree. The other nearly 30% of practicing athletic trainers are divided between doctoral degrees and bachelor’s degrees. It is fairly common that undergraduate students seek graduate programs in varied disciplines. Just under 70% of our students over the last nine years have attended graduate school with nearly 50% of those getting graduate or teaching assistance positions to pay the bills. The other 30% go directly into the workforce.
Graduate School Placement
Our students have obtained graduate assistant or teaching assistant positions at the following colleges and universities:
- Armstrong Atlantic State University
- College of Charleston
- College of William and Mary
- Delta State University
- Georgia Southern University
- James Madison University
- Louisiana Tech University
- Northwestern State University
- Old Dominion University
- University of Florida
- University of Virginia
- Virginia Tech
In addition we’ve had our graduates attend doctoral programs in physical therapy, medicine, osteopathy, and graduate physician assistant programs.
Board of Certification (BOC) Examination Results
The national average first time pass rate on the BOC examination varies each year with most years being somewhere between 36-52%. The faculty members of the Bridgewater College athletic training education program have been so committed to seeing our students succeed in first-time success on the BOC examination, we wrote a study book that was published by Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins entitled, "Athletic Training Exam Review". This book is an integrative and concise method to focus student’s study for the examination. Our six year first time pass rate for the BOC exam is 80%. Since our students have been using the content from the book to study for the exam (the last three years), our pass rate has been 100%. The faculty are partnering with the students to develop an atmosphere where 100% success on the BOC examination is the normal despite low national averages making us one of the best colleges that offer athletic training education.