Tuition and Costs Apply Now

Financial Aid FAQs

What is financial aid?

Financial aid includes scholarships, grants, work programs, and student and parent educational loans.

How do I apply for financial aid at Bridgewater College?

You must submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to the processor indicating you want the results sent to Bridgewater. The federal processor will send the results to the Financial Aid Office.

Where can I get a FAFSA?

The FAFSA can be completed and submitted through the internet at Alternatively, you can obtain a paper FAFSA from a high school guidance office or we can email you a PDF FAFSA if you email your request to

What is Bridgewater College's Federal Title IV school code number?


What is Bridgewater College's deadline for filing the FAFSA?

Our priority deadline is March 1.

Should I submit the FAFSA even if it is past the March 1 deadline?

Yes, do so as soon as possible! While it is true that many aid programs are limited, others are not.

My parents don't have their federal income taxes completed; can we use estimated figures on the FAFSA?

Yes, you can file with estimates. However, you should keep in mind that any financial aid package based on those figures would be an estimate of aid as well. When actual income tax figures are available, aid will be recalculated and adjusted as necessary.

I think my family makes too much money to qualify for financial aid; why should I apply?

We encourage all students to apply for aid through the FAFSA. It is the only way to check out all of your options. Many families are surprised when they discover they are eligible for assistance. In addition, virtually every student regardless of financial circumstances can borrow a low-interest Federal Direct Loan.

As a returning student, do I have to reapply for aid each year?

Yes. Financial aid is not automatically renewed from year to year. If you submitted a FAFSA for the previous year, the federal processor should send a Renewal FAFSA notification to the email address listed on your previous FAFSA by early January. If you do not provide an email address the Renewal notification will be sent to the home address listed on your previous FAFSA.

I just received a Student Aid Report (SAR) in the mail. Do I need to send it to Bridgewater College?

As long as Bridgewater College is listed on the SAR, the information will be sent to us by the processor. If there are no corrections to be made, no action is required.

What is a financial aid package and when will I receive one?

An aid package is a listing of the awards (grants, scholarships, work and loans) you are eligible to receive. The package also includes information required to finalize your financial aid. Beginning in mid-March, we send aid packages to admitted freshmen and transfers after receipt of their FAFSA analysis from the processor. Upperclassmen who have paid a reservation deposit to return receive their packages beginning in mid-June.

Since I am a Virginian, do I pay in-state tuition and room and board rates?

Bridgewater College charges all students the same rates regardless of state residency. However, dependent students whose parents are Virginia residents and independent students who are Virginia residents receive the Virginia Tuition Assistance Grant (TAG) provided the student submits the TAG application to Bridgewater College by the July 31 deadline. Returning TAG recipients need not reapply.

end faq