We love our planet. That’s why we’re greening our dining operations and food choices. Our commitment to sustainable food service and environmentally friendly dining operations shows in many ways.
Here are a few ways we reduce our carbon footprint:
- Compostable containers for the “On the Go!” and “Take 5” programs
- Spent fryer oil converted to bio-diesel fuel
- Napkins made from recycled paper
- Recyclable mugs at the Crimson Café
- Trayless dining in the KCC Dining Hall
- Locally purchased and produced food
- Green catering practices
Farm Fresh, Not Processed
We know where our food comes from. We get more than 20 percent of our food through FarmSource, an initiative to find and partner with some of the finest local growers and producers. Most of our farmers are within 125 miles of campus.
We personally meet our farmers, food production owners and artisans. We tour their farms and facilities. And we hand-select the harvest in the field. We purchase milk from dairies that do not increase their cow’s milk production with hormones. Our fish comes from sustainable fisheries. We prepare food with canola oil containing no trans-fats.
You’re getting only natural, fresh food that’s in season when available. Fresher food means more nutrients for you.