Sankofa Student Leadership Series
You must know and understand who you are, where you come from and what makes you unique in order to fully assume leadership roles. The Sankofa Student Leadership Series provides you with the opportunity to engage in workshops that explore the six pillars of the series.
The pillars are:
- Self-Knowledge - self-exploration
- Purpose - discovering or exploring personal passion
- Perseverance - overcoming obstacles
- Relationships - connection to others and the community
- Self-Examination - responding to feedback
- Transformation - examination of change in self and community
Sankofa, an Adrinka symbol of the Akan language from Ghana, West Africa, means "it is not taboo to go back and fetch what you forgot," or, in other words, "we should reach back and gather the best of what our past has to teach us, so that we can achieve our full potential as we move forward." The Sankofa symbol is a bird with an egg in her mouth, moving forward while looking back. Applicable to any culture, Sankofa embodies the abilities of leaders to use historic knowledge, mentorship and self-evaluation to lead in an effective, ethical manner.