Steps for Completing Service-Learning
As a Bridgewater College student, you will complete at least 10 hours of service-learning for each year you are enrolled at the college.
Listed below are several steps that will assist you in completing your service-learning requirement.
- Consult the Harrisonburg-Rockingham Nonprofit Search http://www.tcfuwhr.org
- Visit the office of service-learning to get answers to any question you may have with regard to service-learning opportunities.
- Consult the service-learning requirements page to ensure the service you plan to provide meets the service-learning criteria.
- Call the contact person of the agency you wish to serve and request information on specific service opportunities at the agency.
- Set up your specific service date(s) and time(s) with the agency contact person. It is extremely important that you follow through with the commitment you make because agencies depend upon the service of their volunteers. If it becomes impossible for you to follow through on your commitment, please call the agency as far in advance of your service date as possible so the agency staff can make other arrangements.
- Required: At the conclusion of your service, download the PDP service-learning documentation form. Complete the form and save it to your PDP folder on the P:drive within one week of completing your service.
- Referring to your completed PDP service-learning documentation form(s), critically reflect on the significance of the service you provided in your PDP Personal Reflective Essay.