Tuition and Costs Apply Now

Transfer Student FAQs

How many credits must I have to transfer?

Although there is no minimum number of credits required to transfer, it is important for all students wishing to attend Bridgewater College to have completed the minimum requirements for incoming freshmen. For example, if you never passed Algebra II in high school, you must do so at the college level before being admitted to Bridgewater.

What is the minimum GPA that will be accepted?

You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.2 to be considered for admission. Please understand that admission is becoming increasingly competitive; therefore, having the minimum GPA does not ensure admission.

What is the deadline for applying?

Bridgewater operates on a rolling admission schedule and will accept applications and admit students as space allows.

How do I apply?

You may submit the paper application by mailing it to the office of admissions along with the $30 application fee, or you may apply online, and your application fee will be waived.

What other credentials are required in addition to the application?

You will need to submit the following documents:

  • Final high school transcript, including SAT/ACT scores
  • Transcript from each college attended
  • Dean's Reference from each college attended

What if I don't know the dean? How can I get my Dean's Reference signed?

After signing the release at the top of the form, the Dean's Reference may be completed by any official who is qualified to answer the two questions on the form. Quite often someone in the registrar's office or in records will complete this form. If you are no longer on the campus of your former institution, it may be wise to call the registrar's office there to find out who would be responsible for signing this type of form. It may then be faxed to them and then from them to us at 540-828-5481.

What if I didn't take the SAT or ACT when I was in high school? What if I took them but my scores were really low?

You must have at least 26 academic credits to have your standardized test scores waived. If you have less than 26 credits to transfer, you may wish to consider taking or retaking the SAT/ACT test.

Why must I submit my high school transcript?

It is a part of your educational record and is required to complete your admission file; however, your most-recent work will be viewed with greater relevance.

I attended a college, but most of my credits won't transfer. If I don't care about transferring the credits, can I just apply as a freshman?

Although you may not receive any credits and may indeed be considered a freshman, you are still a transfer student and must furnish all the required credentials.

Do you have scholarships available for transfers?

Bridgewater College offers excellent scholarships and grants for transfer students. Academic scholarships based on cumulative GPAs of 3.0 and higher range from $7,600 - $12,000. Members of Phi Theta Kappa receive an additional $2,000 scholarship. In addition, Bridgewater awards a Transfer Grant of $3,000 or $5,000 to all transfer students transferring a minimum of 12 credits.

How do I apply for your scholarships and grants?

You don't. Your application for admission is your application for institutional scholarships and grants. Information supplied to us on your application and transcripts will verify your eligibility for scholarships and grants. You should, however, file the FAFSA for need-based aid. If you are a Virginia resident, you should file the TAG Grant application.

How will I know which credits transfer?

Most courses for which there are comparable courses at Bridgewater College and in which a grade of 'C' or better was earned will receive credit. It may also be important for you to know which of your courses will satisfy general education or major requirements and which may transfer in as electives. Upon request through the transfer counselor, our registrar will provide a credit evaluation for you prior to admission.

I plan to attend a community college. How can I make sure I take the right courses?

Jackie Spicer, associate director of admissions, will be happy to assist you in selecting courses when you are ready to transfer to Bridgewater College. You may reach her by phone at 540-828-5689 or 800-759-8328 or email If you attend one of the colleges in the Virginia Community College System, our general education equivalency chart should be helpful to you.

How many credits may I transfer?

A minimum of 123 credits must be earned to graduate, 48 of which must be junior-senior level courses. If you are transferring from an accredited two-year college, you may transfer as many as 68 credits. If you wish to transfer from a four-year institution, at least 27 of your last 30 credits must be earned at Bridgewater College, and at least nine of your major credits must be completed at Bridgewater.

Is housing available?

Yes, housing is guaranteed. Bridgewater is a residential college; however, transfer students will be allowed to live off-campus if meeting one of the following conditions:

  1. The student has earned a minimum of 24 college credits.
  2. The student lives at home with his or her parents or legal guardians within Augusta, Highland, Page, Rockingham or Shenandoah counties.
  3. The student is 23 years of age or older at the start of the school year at issue.
  4. The student is/was a member of the armed forces.
  5. The student is married or a custodial parent.

In addition, a student may request a special waiver from the dean of students if the student has a documented medical, physical, mental or health need that cannot be met by any of the housing options available on campus. The special waiver is effective only for the year in which it is granted, and the request must be renewed each year in which the waiver is sought.

Visit Campus