Discover What the Sociology Program Can Do for You
Get a quick overview of what makes the sociology program at Bridgewater College so special and what it can do for you and your career.
Family Feeling Atmosphere
“I love the family feeling of the sociology department, especially with the professors. For instance, we might be stressing about a test in Dr. Brazill’s class, and Dr. Hayes will come into our classroom and do a “good luck" dance." - Caroline Augsberger, Class of 2015
Encourages You to Think Outside of Your Comfort Zone
“The sociology department encourages us to think outside our comfort zone and assess the world around us. In each class we are encouraged to openly discuss our ideas and each student gets the opportunity to be heard. There is no other place I’d rather be!" - Whitney Miklos, Class of 2016
The sociology department has a dedicated faculty base that goes above and beyond to satisfy the needs of their students.
Division of Humanities and Social Sciences
Explore sociology at Bridgewater. You’ll participate in interactive classes. Conduct research. Study subjects such as anthropology, cultural studies, criminology, data analysis, family, race and ethnicity, and social theory.
You’ll be prepared for a variety of careers and graduate programs. Our graduates have gone on to success in the social sciences, human services, education, the legal professions, criminal justice, government, business and communications.
When you earn a sociology degree at Bridgewater, you develop skills in interpretation, writing, research and analysis that make you invaluable to future employers. Imagine what you might do.
And four additional SOC courses approved by the department.
Activities and Clubs
We encourage all sociology students to study abroad [INTERNAL LINK to: 1.9 Study Abroad] if possible. Check out the dozens of destinations that are available through BC’s Center for International Education.
Our students have completed internships in:
- Social Work
- Public Schools
- Probation and parole
- Correctional facilities
- Law firms
- Physical rehabilitation
- Institutions for emotionally handicapped and delinquent youth
- Recreation centers
- Community redevelopment
- Halfway houses
Graduate Schools and Careers
What can you do with a degree in sociology?
Like our recent graduates, you might enter graduate schools such as:
- Bryn Mawr College (Social Work)
- Catholic University (Social Work)
- East Tennessee State University (Social Work)
- Eastern Mennonite University (Counseling)
- George Washington University (Sociology)
- University of Kentucky (Information and Library Science)
- University of Maryland-Baltimore (Social Work)
- University of Maryland‑Towson (Gerontology)
- Radford University (Social Work)
- Virginia Commonwealth University (Social Work)
- Virginia Tech (Sociology)
- Wake Forest University (Divinity)
- West Virginia University (Social Work)
Or pursue a career in:
- Adult Protective Services
- Anti-Poverty Programs
- Case Management
- Child Protective Services/Child Welfare
- Civil Service
- Community Organizing
- Conflict Resolution and Mediation
- Criminal Justice/Law Enforcement
- Family and Human Relations Work
- Federal Bureau of Investigations
- Forensic Science
- International Fields
- Law and Legal Professions
- Peace Corps
- Social Policy
- Social Research and Data Analysis
- Social Work
- Urban and Rural Planning and Development
Learn more about career paths, employment and advancement in the field of sociology from the American Sociological Association.