The Virginia Department of Education requires multiple assessments for teacher licensure. Candidates will take practice tests for the Virginia Commonwealth Literacy Assessment and PRAXIS Core Academic Skills for Educators: Math assessments in EDUC 140: Introduction to Education.
If a candidate earns passing scores on the practice tests, then it is advised that the candidate register and take these assessments immediately. Just prior to student teaching, candidates will take a Praxis Exam in their content area. Major coursework prepares you for this content area exam, so we recommend taking the Praxis Content Areas exam just before student teaching. Preparation materials for each content area exam can be found at ets.org and Quizlet can also be a good resource. Elementary education teacher candidates will also take the Reading for Virginia Educators; this assessment is to be taken immediately after the EDUC 332: Intermediate Literacy course. See Dr. Jenny Martin (email@example.com) for support with registration and test preparation. Testing support is offered weekly on Mondays and Tuesdays from 2-4 p.m. in Flory Room 315.
To access Praxis Core practice tests and tutorial folders for test preparation, e-mail Jenny Martin.
If you already have an account, follow these steps:
- Log into http://ple.platoweb.com (if you’re having issues, try a different web browser than the one you’re using)
- Turn off pop up blockers, and download plugins.
Account Login = BC11
Edmentum username = BC username
Password = (you set this, but let me know if you need it to be reset)
- Under assignments, you will see three different math tests aligned with Praxis Core. One test for reading and one for writing is also available to take. Preparation folders guide you through exercises aimed to help improve your overall score.
- For practice tests, time yourself for the length of time you will be allowed for the exam (one hour or with extended time 1 ½ hours).
Praxis II: Content Area
To access Praxis e-book study guides and practice tests:
- Search using “Praxis Series” in the library’s Alex catalog from the library’s home page
- Click on Electronic Resources to open the PDF file.