Piper Kerman, author
Piper Kerman, author of Orange is the New Black and inspiration behind the Netflix original series of the same name, shared her story of being incarcerated for a crime she had committed ten years prior, while also elaborating on the important themes of her memoir.
General Philip Breedlove, NATO supreme allied commander for Europe
General Philip Breedlove, U.S. Air Force General, the NATO supreme allied commander for Europe and commander of U.S. European Command, spoke about leadership and how decisions are made.
Jerry Greenfield, co-founder of Ben & Jerry's
Jerry Greenfield, co-founder of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream, gave a lecture titled “An Evening of Entrepreneurial Spirit, Social Responsibility and Radical Business Philosophy” and shared his story of building a business from the ground up, while highlighting their unconventional business practices.
Judy Smith, Inspiration for ABC’s Hit Television Show Scandal
Judy Smith, leading crisis communication strategist and inspiration for ABC’s hit television show Scandal, motivated Bridgewater College students to prepare themselves for the future.
Endowed Lectures and Convocations
The author of Orange is the New Black. A four-star Air Force General. The co-founder of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream. Best-selling authors. Renowned musicians. You’ll see them all at Bridgewater.
We’ve had amazing speakers and artists take the stage at Bridgewater College.
- Piper Kerman, author of Orange is the New Black and inspiration behind the Netflix original series of the same name
- General Philip Breedlove, NATO supreme allied commander for Europe and commander of U.S. European Command
- Jerry Greenfield, philanthropist and co-founder of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream
- Heather Abbott, Boston Marathon bombing survivor
- Scarlett Lewis, mother of Jesse Lewis, who was killed in his first grade classroom during the tragedy at Sandy Hook Elementary School
- Elizabeth Smart, abduction survivor and child protection advocate
- Jonna and Tony Mendez, Tony is the author of Argo, the book that inspired the 2012 Academy Award-winning film
- Judy Smith, crisis communications specialist who inspired the television show Scandal and the character of Olivia Pope
- Sean Chen, the Crystal Award winner of the 14th Van Cliburn International Piano Competition
- James McBride, musician and author of The Color of Water and The Good Lord Bird
Our year-long series of speakers and events includes:
- Endowed lectures, where you’ll hear nationally renowned speakers share their stories
- Lyceums, during which respected musical artists give amazing performances
- Convocations, where you’ll hear from speakers in the BC community and find out what you need to know about study abroad, graduate school and so much more
In addition, we showcase the films of other languages and cultures. To date, we’ve held French, Spanish and German film festivals. Convocation on the Road events allow you to take trips to places such as Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and New York City.
You’ll have more than 60 opportunities to attend an endowed lecture, lyceum or convocation each semester. You’re required to attend seven. See how easy it is? And there are so many you won’t want to miss.
Check out the current semester lectures, lyceums and convocations for a list of all the great programs happening on campus.
You won’t believe who you get to see. Right here. At BC.
Questions? Contact Us!
Prof. Skip Burzumato, Director of Endowed Lectures
Dr. Stan Galloway, Director of Convocations