The Showker Scholars Program is a comprehensive initiative for first-generation incoming students who have the character and interest to develop themselves as effective and ethical leaders through the Zane D. Showker Institute for Responsible Leadership. A student’s evolution into a leader will take many forms in this program. The opportunities provided are linked by a common theme: ethical leadership. BC seeks to create leaders who will graduate and go out into the world to make it a better place, taking what they’ve learned as undergraduates and implementing it as alumni.
The $1,000 Showker Scholars Scholarship will be awarded to five (5) first-time students who are the first generation in their family to complete a college degree. The students will have demonstrated leadership initiative, academic excellence and participation in extra-curricular activities during high school. The $1,000 scholarship is renewable up to four years if all Showker Scholar requirements are met, including maintaining a cumulative year-end GPA equal to or greater than 2.0. All Showker Scholars will complete a minor in Leadership.
Deadline to apply is February 17, 2022.
During the four-year Showker Scholars program, students will:
- Complete the minor in Leadership
- Learn leadership theory and vocabulary.
- Learn leadership ethics and how leadership works in organizations and groups.
- Participate in a capstone course in which they complete and present a leadership project.
- Choose two leadership experiences to complete each year from a vast list of opportunities that fit interests and schedules.
- Attend a regional or national student leadership conference.
- Experience career development activities, such as mentorship from leaders in various professions, networking with fellow scholars, social events, and counseling/guidance to obtain internships and jobs.
- Attend special forums and engage in deep discussions with leadership experts
- Compete for the $5,000 Showker Prize with a team of BC students
- Have an opportunity to apply for the $350 Showker Award for Internship Excellence
- Admitted to the College
- Be the first generation in your family to complete a college degree
- 2.7 minimum cumulative high school GPA
- On-campus residency will be required for the full amount of the scholarship
- A Letter of Recommendation discussing your leadership experience and potential sent to Jesse Bartley, Admissions Counselor, at firstname.lastname@example.org by the scholarship deadline of February 17, 2022
- Apply by February 17, 2022
- President’s Merit Scholarship recipients are not eligible to receive the scholarship
- Application closes February 17, 2022 at 5:00pm
- Applications will be reviewed and top candidates will be contacted to schedule an in-person interview by March 4
- In-person interviews on Bridgewater’s campus March 21-24
- 5 winners will be announced on March 25