Academic Advising & Support
We provide the services you need for academic success and a lifetime of learning.
Why Do You Need Academic Support?
College is the time to discover who you want to be. From the time you join the Bridgewater community, you’ll have so many choices to make. What academic major will you pursue? What are your career interests? What are your talents and strengths?
Our rigorous curriculum will challenge you. But we provide the services you need for academic success and a lifetime of learning. We’ll help you achieve your dreams.
Take a look at the services we offer to help you along the path to academic success.
Academic Advising Center
Each student at Bridgewater is assigned a faculty advisor. Your faculty advisor will be a mentor. Someone who cares about you and wants to discover your abilities, interests and goals. Your faculty advisor will help you:
- Develop an educational plan that fits your interests and abilities.
- Connect your coursework with your personal and career goals.
- Encourage you to take advantage of hands-on learning opportunities, such as internships, research projects and study abroad experiences.
- Connect you to campus resources that promote academic success.
- Boost your independence and personal responsibility.
Once you declare a major (through the registrar’s office), you’ll receive an advisor in your academic department. If you haven’t declared a major yet, you’ll receive an advisor who has been trained to help you think about and make decisions regarding your academic choices and potential careers.
Questions about Academic Advising?
Our academic program emphasizes writing skills as an essential part of your personal and academic growth. The BC Writing Center will guide you through the writing process. We offer face-to-face or online tutoring, as well as workshops about using and documenting sources.
Visit the Writing Center website at bcwritingcenter.weebly.com
The Writing Center is located in Bowman Hall, room 310.
Writing Center Tutorial Hours
Monday-Thursday: 2-10 p.m.
Friday: 2-6 p.m.
Sunday: 6-10 p.m.
Sunday-Thursday: 8 p.m.-midnight
Questions about the Writing Center?
Academic Support Center
The Academic Support Center offers services to enhance the skills necessary to manage college work. You can learn skills such as organization and planning, time management and learning strategies. Support is available whether you have challenges or just want to enhance your academic performance.
These services include:
- Academic Coach Program, which allows you to work with our specially trained staff of students to develop organization skills and strategies for completing assignments on time
- Learning Strategy Workshops will help you brush up on your learning skills and work habits, with topics such as taking effective class notes, improving your memory and finding motivation
- Departmental Help Sessions, offered weekly by some academic departments to give students extra help with difficult concepts
- Transition Program, a personal and academic support program required as a condition of admission for selected Bridgewater students
- Tutoring Services are available for any course, offered by BC students who are recommended by the faculty
Questions about the Academic Support Center?
Questions? Contact Us!
Dr. Robert Andersen
Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Director of Academic Advising
Dr. Alice Trupe
Director of the Writing Center
Dr. Chip Studwell, Ed.D., LPC
Director of Academic Support and Disability Services