Faculty Research Opportunities
Research Funding Provided by the College
- Bridgewater's Faculty Research Grant program – intended to promote faculty scholarship by providing funds to support small faculty research projects. The amount available per project varies depending on the funding budgeted in a given year and the number and quality of proposals submitted. Proposals should clearly present well-developed research projects with sufficient detail to allow for an informed review. All proposals should include a description of the project and research methodology as well as an itemized budget.
- Bridgewater Faculty Conference Funding – often available to fund travel and presentation at conferences.
Other Annual Research Opportunities
The Virginia Foundation of Independent Colleges (VFIC) Mednick Memorial Fellowship: $2,300
- 2016: Gavin Lawson (Biology), Phylogeographic Patterns among Eastern Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens) in the Southeastern United States
- 2015: Lori Gano-Overway (Health and Human Sciences), A Reflection on Living One’s Coaching Philosophy and Imparting it to Others
- 2014: Nancy Klancher (Philosophy and Religion), Othering Without End: The Evolution of Historically Specific Others in Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Scriptures
- 2013: Scott Jost (Art), Source and Confluence: Exploring the Chesapeake Bay Watershed (West Branch Susquehanna River, Juniata River, and Maryland/Delaware/Virginia Eastern Shore)
- 2012: Dr. Mwizenge Tembo (Sociology), Book Publication and Nkhanga Village Library Workshop in Zambia
Other Sources for Research Funding
Research funding is available from a variety of sources such as charitable foundations, professional organizations and government agencies.
The following is a list of organizations that have supported Bridgewater faculty research in the past. Please coordinate your efforts with the grants officer prior to requesting grant funding.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) Research Consortium
- American Astronomical Society
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Science Foundation
- Virginia Academy of Sciences
- Virginia Commission of the Arts
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
For more information visit the Resources for External Research or Program Grants section on MyBC.
Questions? Contact Us!
Jada Blinn, Director of Strategic Analysis and Reporting