Funding opportunities for research
BC faculty have access to a number of opportunities for research funding. See below for a list of possible resources and contact the Director of Strategic Analysis and Reporting, Jada Blinn, for guidance on a proposal.
- Bridgewater’s Faculty Research Grant program – intended to promote faculty scholarship by providing funds to support small faculty research projects. The amount available per project varies depending on the funding budgeted in a given year and the number and quality of proposals submitted. Proposals should clearly present well-developed research projects with sufficient detail to allow for an informed review. All proposals should include a description of the project and research methodology as well as an itemized budget.
- Bridgewater Faculty Conference Funding – often available to fund travel and presentation at conferences.
For more information, contact the provost and vice president for academic affairs or visit the Faculty Research Grants section on MyBC.
The Virginia Foundation of Independent Colleges (VFIC) Mednick Memorial Fellowship: $2,300
- 2020: Mwizenge Tembo (Sociology), Investigating the Mwizenge Sustainable Model Village in Zambia
- 2019: Brandon Marsh (History and Political Science), Last Post: Britain, Pakistan, and Decolonization
- 2018: Mahan Ellison (World Languages and Cultures), The Human Equation: a Theoretical Model for the Economy of War
- 2017: Chris James (World Languages and Cultures), Mapping the Cathedral: Huysmans & Chartres
- 2016: Gavin Lawson (Biology), Phylogeographic Patterns among Eastern Newts (Notophthalmus viridescens) in the Southeastern United States
Research funding is available from a variety of sources such as charitable foundations, professional organizations and government agencies.
The following is a list of organizations that have supported Bridgewater faculty research in the past. Please coordinate your efforts with the grants officer prior to requesting grant funding.
- American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (AAHPERD) Research Consortium
- American Astronomical Society
- Fulbright Scholar Program
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- National Science Foundation
- Virginia Academy of Sciences
- Virginia Commission of the Arts
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
For more information visit the Resources for External Research or Program Grants section on MyBC.
Questions? Contact Us!
Jada Blinn, Director of Strategic Analysis and Reporting