Transfer Student portrait photo
Home Admission & Aid Apply Transfer Students

Transfer Students

BC makes transferring easy

When you transfer to Bridgewater College, you join a community that will connect you to great mentors, big ideas and classmates from throughout the world. As you consider your transfer decision, know that you will be welcomed into our community from day one. You will graduate from BC prepared to begin your career in a field that matters to you, and you’ll be equipped to make an even greater impact on the world.

BC has a flexible rolling admissions process, and you can apply for either fall or spring semesters. Once your online application is complete, you will hear sooner rather than later if you have been admitted.

Most credits taken at a regionally accredited college will receive credit with a grade of C or above.

Private college in Virginia
According to some
Of students get financial assistance
Clubs and student organizations
Student:Teacher Ratio

Singing her praises

Danielle Cunningham (’20) transferred from Northern Virginia Community College and discovered that, as a music major, she had more opportunities here for one-on-one instruction. 

“I really got to know my professors at Bridgewater,” she said. “That interaction has helped me grow as a performer and become more confident.”

She’s also planning to go into BC’s Master of Arts in Digital Media Strategy program to expand her career options. And because of Danielle, her younger twin brothers are now first-year students at BC!


As you consider your transfer decision, know that you will be welcomed into our community from day one. Due to the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic, we know you may have extra questions during this time of uncertainty.

Will the class transfer and apply to general education and appropriate degree requirements if grade of P+ is awarded in spring 2020? (indicates student earned a C or better in course.)  

Yes.  Courses comparable to those offered at Bridgewater with an earned grade of P+ will be accepted for transfer.  Equivalent courses will meet general education and appropriate degree requirements.

How will a grade of P+ on a spring course impact the student entering a competitive major?

Courses are transferred as credits earned, listing a grade of T (identifying them as transferred courses). This is the same practice used when accepting courses with an earned grade of C or higher.

How will a grade of P+ on a spring course impact the student meeting a major requirement of a grade of B or higher?

Actual grades are not transferred to Bridgewater, and so there are no B requirements for any majors.  Any questions regarding courses meeting major requirements will be referred to the academic department chair for review.

How will a grade of P+ on a spring course impact the GAA if it requires a letter grade higher than a C on any courses?

Our GAA allows for the transfer of comparable courses with an earned grade of C or higher.

How will a grade of P+ on a spring course be treated if the course is a pre-req for a major-specific course that normally requires a minimum grade to enroll in the major course?

The transferred course will meet prerequisites requirements.   Any questions will be referred to the academic department chair for review.

How will a grade of P+ (grade of C or better) or P- (grade of D) impact eligibility for the Transfer Grant?  

Transfer student merit award eligibility is based on credits earned, cumulative GPA for all college work, and other factors from the applicant’s record.

When should I request my transcript?

When final grades have been posted, along with any degrees earned.

How will I register for my fall classes at the 4-year?

Students will attend an orientation session and meet with an academic advisor (in-person or virtually, depending on our circumstances) to register for fall classes.

What if my 4-year orientation is cancelled?

The registrar will consult with the appropriate faculty to assign students to fall classes.

When will I know if I am accepted at the 4-year?

Bridgewater has rolling admissions.  Once a student has completed their application, they will receive a formal admissions decision within 3 weeks.

When will I know if I get housing at the 4-year?

Bridgewater is a residential college, so most students live on campus. Once a student has paid the $300 reservation deposit, they will get information from residence life about on-campus housing.  Students can find information about on and off campus housing here.

Is it too late to apply for financial aid?

No.  Once a student has been admitted, they will automatically be reviewed for Merit Awards. The deadline to submit the FAFSA has been moved to April 17th , 2020.

What if my financial status has changed significantly, can I apply for more aid?  How?

Yes.  Please send an email to the Financial Aid office at with a brief explanation about what has changed.  A financial aid team member will then advise on documentation needed to recalculate your financial aid eligibility.

What if I cannot pay my admissions deposit when it is due?

Bridgewater has pushed the Admissions deposit date for transfer students to July 1. Deposits received after July 1 will be accepted as space allows.  Refunds for the reservation deposit are not guaranteed after July 1.

Can I still submit an application to the 4-year?

Yes! Bridgewater is accepting applications for Fall 2020.

Can I request an unofficial evaluation of my transcript to see how credits will apply to my prospective major?  How?

Yes, the student can contact Bridgewater’s Transfer Counselor, Emily Helms, ( for a preliminary credit evaluation.

Any additional transfer information you wish to include for your transfer students?

Bridgewater’s Transfer Counselor, Emily Helms, hosts a zoom session, Transfer Twilight Hour, every other Tuesday night from 7:00 pm – 8:00 pm.  This is a time for students to join and ask their transfer-oriented questions in a relaxed setting.

BRCC Students can get one-on-one academic advising from BC’s transfer counselor, Emily Helms (

  • Mondays (8/31/2020 – 12/14/2020) 1:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
  • Thursdays (9/3/2020 – 12/10/2020) 8:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.

Use this zoom link to join.

The application is available at the beginning of August.  Apply as early as you can to enroll in the upcoming fall or spring semesters.

Submit the following documents:

  • Free Application
  • Official High School Transcript
  • Official Transcripts from each college attended.
  • SAT and/or ACT scores*

* Not required with at least 26 academic credits, including English and Math

Once you have submitted all of the required documents, contact the transfer counselor  to verify the status of your application.  Your application will then be reviewed, and an admission decision will be mailed to you.

Generally, courses that are comparable to those taught at Bridgewater, with a grade of C or higher, will transfer. If you are attending a regionally accredited two year college, you may transfer up to 68 credits.

Applicants may receive a preliminary credit evaluation upon request by contacting the transfer counselor  and submitting all college transcripts.

If transferring from a Virginia Community College, you can use the Foundations in Liberal Arts Program Requirement equivalency brochure General Education at Bridgewater College

Contact our transfer counselor.  She will help you select courses and get you ready to transfer to Bridgewater. A campus visit to get your questions answered is the best way to prepare for transfer.

Bridgewater offers many opportunities to visit campus throughout the year. We offer personalized visits, transfer visit days, open houses, and special events for you to learn more about BC.

Check out our visit page for specific dates and times. Whenever you choose to visit campus, it is helpful if you bring a copy of your college transcript(s) so the transfer counselor can give you the best advice on courses to take if you are considering transferring to BC.

Students who graduate with a transfer-oriented associate degree (A.A, A.S. or A.A.&S.) from a regionally accredited community college will have their general education requirements waived with the exception of two courses.

In addition, in order to make Bridgewater College more accessible, we have worked with various institutions on the following Articulation Agreements .

Admitted students are automatically reviewed for transfer scholarships and grants.

Yes, transfer students are encouraged to live on campus to experience all that BC has to offer, both academically and socially.

A student who chooses to live off-campus  may do so by meeting one of the following criteria:

  • has earned a minimum of 12 post-high school college credits;
  • lives in Augusta, Highland, Page, Rockingham, or Shenandoah with your legal guardians;
  • is at least 23 years old;
  • is a current or former member of the armed forces;
  • is married or are a custodial parent;
  • has a physical or mental health disability.

Questions? Contact us!

Office of Admissions


Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.

Friday, 8 a.m. – noon