Bridgewater College is pleased to once again offer the Mapp Field tailgating area, a spot where tailgaters can gather for a celebratory environment in advance of home football games. Building on the successes of last season, BC now will offer fans the opportunity to select which specific tailgating spot they want and to register for the entire season, should they wish to attend all five home games. All other lots on campus will be used strictly for parking, with tailgating and picnicking only in Mapp Field.
The tailgating area creates a game-day environment of excitement and celebration and assists the College in better managing tailgating-ensuring the safety and security of our students and fans.
Mapp Field reservations for the Saturday, November 23, playoff game will be available at noon on Wednesday, November 20, and are $20 per space. Everyone in Mapp Field must have a game ticket. Tickets will be available at the Mapp Field check-in spot, where cash, checks and cards will be accepted, and are $10 for an adult and $6 for children ages 3 and up and for those with a valid College I.D.
Tailgating is defined as parking in a designated location (Mapp Field) and setting up non-permanent facilities such as tables and chairs to consume food and beverages on campus. This is an opportunity for all members of the Bridgewater College community to gather during designated home football competitions in a fun, safe, festive, and inclusive environment. Bridgewater College, in conjunction with the Department of Athletics and Campus Police and Safety, encourages spectators to create a positive game-day atmosphere.
In accordance with College policy and ABC regulations, tailgating with alcohol is only permitted in College-designated areas and only by persons who are 21 years of age or older. Bridgewater College prohibits the consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by underage persons; nor does it sanction or permit the violation of federal, state, or local laws, or College policy. The possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on Bridgewater College campus property is subject to federal and state law and all College policies and regulations. All members of the Bridgewater community and campus visitors are expected to obey all laws and regulations.
Location and Times
- The College allows tailgating with alcohol in Mapp Field for home football games. College-sanctioned tailgating activities are only permitted on designated home football competition days from three hours prior to the kickoff to one hour following the conclusion of the competition (excluding evening competitions, in which case the tailgating area will close immediately following the conclusion of the competition). On Homecoming, lots will open at 8 a.m., regardless of the start of the game.
- Parking spaces in Mapp Field are offered on a “first come, first served” basis. To ensure a tailgating space, online reservations are encouraged. The College cannot guarantee a space in Mapp Field for those without an online reservation. Parking spots in Mapp Field are $20 per game for rows A & B and $10 per game for rows C & D (E Homecoming only). Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. There is no entrance fee to Mapp Field for those who choose to enter on foot.
- No RV’s are allowed in Mapp Field. RV parking will be allowed in the Visitor Lot on E. College St.
- Should all spaces in Mapp Field be reserved/occupied, overflow tailgating with alcohol would be permitted in the Alumni Gym parking lot (nearest the baseball field). This area will be available for tailgating ONLY on the day of the event when deemed necessary by the College and tailgating spaces in this lot will be $10 each.
- Because tailgating is a multiple-hour event with limited space, attendees are encouraged to arrive at Mapp Field early within the two hours prior to the kickoff when tailgating begins. On Homecoming, lots will open at 8 a.m. Reserved spaces will not be held if arriving at or after half time. While attendees are encouraged to leave their vehicles parked for the entirety of the competition, attendees may vacate the tailgating lot with their vehicles, but vehicles will not be permitted re-entry. Individuals will be permitted to re-enter on foot.
- College-sanctioned tailgating is only permitted in designated areas of campus. Alcohol is not permitted outside of the tailgating area. When guests leave the designated tailgate area, they must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
- Those occupying a spot in Mapp Field without a vehicle must be able to produce a placard for the designated tailgating spot.
- Those of legal drinking age (21 and older) must provide legal identification and proof of age and will be provided a wristband enabling them to consume alcohol. While fans of any age will be allowed entry to Mapp Field, only those of legal drinking age and with a visible wristband will be able to consume alcohol.
- Tailgaters are not permitted to use adjacent parking spaces or obstruct driving lanes or pedestrian walkways when setting up personal items, including, but not limited to, tables, chairs, tents, grills, and games/activities.
- Emergency access lanes must be maintained at all times. Do not block these areas.
- Parking for the purposes of tailgating is prohibited in any area outside of Mapp Field, unless the Alumni Gym lot by the baseball field has been opened by College personnel for overflow. All other parking on campus is limited to designated parking lots.
- We want everyone to have a great experience! We ask that fans be respectful of those surrounding them and remain mindful of their choice of language and activity. Individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner that reflects positively on Bridgewater College at all times. Individuals acting in a manner that is disrespectful, disruptive, or disorderly or persons interfering with the rights of other people by use of loud and/or abusive language and behavior will be asked to leave College property and may be subject to citation or arrest. Students will be subject to the student code of conduct. Public intoxication, disorderly conduct or other unlawful or reckless conduct are prohibited and will result in removal and being banned from future tailgating events.
- A tailgate has a variety of food and beverages available in sufficient quantities for the number of people attending. The following elements are not considered part of an acceptable tailgating atmosphere and will be cause of disbanding with attendees removed from the tailgating lot:
- Common containers such as kegs, party balls, large containers of mixed drinks, beer tubs, trash cans of beer
- Loud music
- Drinking games
- Underage drinking
- Lack of food
- Large or excessive quantities of alcohol
- Large numbers of people
- The person who purchased the parking space within the tailgating zone is referred to as the “tailgate pass holder. When this person entertains guests, they become a Host. The Host is responsible for informing his or her guests and visitors of tailgating guidelines.
- The Host is also responsible for the safety and behavior or his or her guests, to include the consumption of alcohol, as well as the behavior and actions of an intoxicated guest to who he or she has served alcohol. Both hosts and guests may be held liable for guest behavior.
- Noise levels for personal music (either coming from a car stereo or portable speakers in the tailgating area) must be kept at a reasonable volume.
- Any current Bridgewater student found to be acting in a disruptive manner may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with The Eagle student handbook (.pdf) as well as any federal, state, or local laws.
- Individuals are responsible for keeping the area clean. Trash cans and recycling bins are available. Please clean up your area before leaving campus.
- Open-flame fires, charcoal or wood grills, fire pits, bonfires, oil-based cooking or frying, electric generators, and propane tanks with capacity greater than 20 lbs. are prohibited.
- All individuals of legal drinking age (21 or older) must present legal identification and proof of age to appropriate law enforcement, event staff, or College personnel upon entry to Mapp Field and when requested to do so after entry. Individuals without proper identification or who are not of legal drinking age who are in violation of the tailgating guidelines are subject to penalty up to and including removal from campus, appropriate criminal charges and prohibition from future participation.
- Alcoholic beverages and containers are strictly prohibited from the competition venue or any other part of campus outside of Mapp Field. When guests leave the designated tailgate area, they must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
- The consumption of alcohol by minors (those under 21 years of age) or the serving of alcohol to minors is a violation of federal and state law as well as the College alcohol policy and will NOT be tolerated. Individuals supplying alcoholic beverages to those under the legal drinking age may be ticketed, arrested, and/or subject to College sanctions.
- Wristbands are provided for all persons of legal drinking age (21 or older); all persons in possession of or consuming alcohol must have their wristband visible at all times.
- All items and vehicles are subject to inspection (e.g. backpacks, bags, cups, coolers). All containers will also be inspected for those under 21.
- No alcohol, unauthorized products, or merchandise may be sold on the premises.
- No student organization or group may distribute alcohol.
- Drinking games and all associated drinking paraphernalia, including drinking styles that encourage excessive alcohol consumption (including but not limited to: funnels, “waterfalling,” “shotgunning” and beer bongs) are prohibited.
- Alcohol may be carried into the Mapp Field tailgating area by those 21 and older who are arriving by foot. Any alcohol carried intothe area must be concealed by a cooler or bag and cannot be visible when carried throughout campus. Carrying an open container of alcohol on public streets or sidewalks is illegal, regardless of age. Any containers not in a cooler or bag will be confiscated.
- Common-source containers of alcohol meant for transporting, sharing, serving, and/or mixing alcohol in large quantities are prohibited. These containers include but are not limited to kegs, half barrels, pony kegs, or other common alcohol containers.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal. Commonwealth of Virginia drinking and driving laws will be enforced in and around the tailgating area as well as the entire campus and the public roads near campus.
- Transportation of people in the backs/beds of trucks is prohibited. People are also prohibited from standing in or on top of vehicles.
- Tailgating activities can take place in your parking space and the area directly behind your space. Please ensure enough space for everyone to enjoy the area and be able to walk through the tailgaiting area.
- For the safety of all in attendance, the use of recreational items including, but not limited to, bicycles, skateboards, hover boards, in-line skates, and motorized vehicles such as scooters, ATVs, go-carts, and golf carts is prohibited within the tailgating area.
- For the safety of all attendees, no pets or animals, other than service animals, are permitted in the tailgating area.
- The safety and security of personal property is the sole responsibility of its owner; do not leave any personal property unattended.
- Bridgewater College is not responsible, nor will be held liable for accidents, damages, loss or theft of materials, items, or personal property.
- All members of your tailgating group and guests must review all tailgating guidelines.
- Contact Campus Police & Safety (540-578-5609) for all emergencies.
IMPORTANT NOTE: VIOLATORS ARE SUBJECT TO PROVISIONS OF VIRGINIA LAW AND REMOVAL FROM BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE PROPERTY, INCLUDING FORFEITED GAME TICKETS/RETURN ENTRY INTO THE STANDS.
Bridgewater Campus Police & Safety, Event Staff, and additional local law enforcement agencies will maintain an active presence during all tailgating activities and will respond accordingly to any violations or emergencies.
To ensure the appropriate celebratory environment is maintained, the College reserves the right to revoke the tailgating privileges of any individual(s) for reason of safety, disruption of the peace, or failure to adhere to policies and regulations.
Bridgewater College reserves the right to amend these guidelines at any time and for any reason, including closing any parking lots, and to place additional restrictions or conditions on persons entering areas where tailgating is allowed.
Are RV’s allowed on Mapp Field?
No, RV parking is limited to the Visitor tailgating area due to limited space available on Mapp Field.
Where does tailgating take place?
The College has designated a large area of Mapp Field for tailgating. In the event that Mapp Field reaches capacity, the College will designate the Alumni Gym lot (near the baseball field) as an overflow area for tailgating ONLY on the day of the event. All other areas and lots on campus will be for parking only, no tailgating/picnicking of any kind.
When can I tailgate?
Tailgating is permitted on designated home football game days. Fans may enter tailgating areas up to two hours in advance of the game. On Homecoming, lots will open at 8 a.m. For daytime games, fans may remain in the tailgating areas for up to one hour after the conclusion of the game. For evening games, the tailgating areas will close immediately following the conclusion of the game.
Why is the College offering tailgating?
Except for College-sanctioned events, Bridgewater College does not permit students to possess or consume alcohol on campus or in residence halls. We understand that football spectators often wish to enjoy an alcoholic beverage on game day, and this coordinated location enables that to occur while ensuring the safety of our community and inspiring a festive game-day atmosphere.
How do I get a spot in Mapp Field?
Spaces are available on a first-come, first-served basis and can be reserved online to ensure a spot. Once the spaces in Mapp Field are filled, the College may make the determination to open an overflow tailgating area in the Alumni Gym parking lot near the baseball field.
What is required for entry to Mapp Field?
Entrance to Mapp Field requires a parking spot reservation. Any unreserved spots can be filled on the day of for $20 per game for rows A & B and $10 per game for rows C & D, (and E on Homecoming only). Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. There is no entrance fee to Mapp Field for those who choose to enter on foot.
What does it cost to tailgate?
For the 2019 season, a tailgating parking spot is $20 per game for rows A & B and $10 per game for rows C & D (and E on Homecoming only). Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. There is no entrance fee to Mapp Field for those who choose to enter on foot.
How do I purchase game tickets?
You may purchase tickets on game day with cash or credit card. Please note that a $1 service fee per ticket will be added for any credit card purchases made on game day.
What happens if Mapp Field is full?
The College will make the determination to open an overflow tailgating area in the Alumni Gym parking lot near the baseball field. At that point, tailgaters without a reserved spot in Mapp Field will be rerouted to the overflow lot. Tailgating spaces in the Alumni Gym lot will be $10, to be paid via cash or credit card upon entrance to the lot.
What happens if it rains or storms?
Games take place rain or shine, but, in the event of thunder or lightning, the stadium will be cleared and spectators will be directed to seek shelter in a nearby building or their cars until the storm has passed.
I’m under 21. Can I still tailgate?
Yes, fans under 21 are permitted into the Mapp Field tailgating area. Only those who are 21 years of age or older will receive a wristband permitting them to consume alcohol.
I’m a BC student. Can I consume alcohol at Mapp Field?
Yes, if you are 21 or over with a valid I.D.
What happens if I get caught drinking underage, acting disruptively or breaking any of the College’s tailgating guidelines?
Depending on the infraction, you may be asked to leave, have your tailgating privileges revoked for future games, and/or face arrest or disciplinary action by the College, if a student.
Can I select my tailgating spot?
Yes. By registering online, you can select your spot on a map of Mapp Field.
Can I play music?
We have neighbors near campus and need to be respectful of those around us. For that reason, individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner that reflects positively on Bridgewater College at all times. Individuals acting in a manner that is disrespectful, disruptive, or disorderly or persons interfering with the rights of other people by use of loud and/or abusive language and behavior will be asked to leave College property and may be subject to citation or arrest. Noise levels for personal music (either coming from a car stereo or portable speakers in the tailgating area) must be kept at a reasonable volume.
Can I grill food?
Propane grills with no more than standard, 20-pound tanks are permitted. The use of wood and charcoal grills, open-flame fires and fire pits, deep fryers, and electric generators are prohibited.
Can I carry alcohol into Mapp Field if arriving on foot?
Alcohol may be carried into the Mapp Field tailgating area by those 21 and older who are arriving by foot. Any alcohol carried into the area must be concealed by a covering or bag and cannot be visible when carried throughout campus.
What can’t be brought into Mapp Field?
In addition to the prohibited grills listed above, common-source alcohol containers such as kegs, funnels, and beer bongs are not permitted. Pets are also not permitted.
Can we play games?
Common tailgating games such as corn hole are permitted, but must not obstruct access lanes. All drinking games are prohibited.
What must I do before exiting Mapp Field?
Before leaving, please clean up all trash from your tailgating area, placing it in one of the many garbage cans located throughout Mapp Field.
I’m a fan of the visiting team. Where do I park/tailgate?
Visiting fans are permitted to park in any college designated parking lots. Visiting fans wishing to tailgate should park in the visiting tailgate area on East College Street. Follow the signs when you arrive to campus.
I don’t want to tailgate or picnic and just want to park. Where do I go?
All other lots on campus are for general parking. Follow the signs when you arrive to campus.
Can I bring my pet?
For the safety of all those in attendance, no pets or animals, other than service animals, are permitted in the tailgating area.
I have other questions.
Please refer to the Bridgewater College Tailgating Guidelines. If, upon review of the guidelines, you have remaining questions, please contact the Department of Athletics at 540-828-5476 or EagleClub@bridgewater.edu during regular business hours.
Football Tailgating & Parking Map
Reserve a Spot in Mapp Field
Spaces in the Mapp Field tailgating area are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Reserve your space now to ensure you’re part of the action!
Questions? Contact Us!
Department of Athletics