Bridgewater College is pleased to once again offer the Mapp Field tailgating area, a spot where tailgaters can gather for a celebratory environment in advance of home football games. BC offers fans the opportunity to select which specific tailgating spot they want and to register for the entire season, should they wish to attend all five home games. All other lots on campus will be used strictly for parking, with tailgating and picnicking only in Mapp Field.
UPDATE: Tailgating spots on Mapp Field are sold out for the 2022-2023 season. Therefore, tailgating will be allowed in the Alumni Gym Lot. Game tickets are not required to enter the Alumni Gym Lot; however, a game ticket, valid BC ID, season pass or name on pass list will be necessary to enter the stadium. Please note, all tailgating spaces in the Alumni Gym Lot are now sold out for Homecoming on Saturday, October 22. Fans without a tailgating spot may park elsewhere on campus and walk into tailgating locations. (A game ticket or valid College ID is required for entry to Mapp Field.)
Individual game tickets and tailgating/Alumni Gym Lot parking reservations for single games will be available starting at 10 a.m. on Tuesday, August 16
Tailgating areas create a game-day environment of excitement and celebration and assist the College in better managing the safety and security of our students and fans.
Tailgating is defined as parking in a designated location (Mapp Field) and setting up non-permanent facilities such as tables and chairs to consume food and beverages on campus. This is an opportunity for all members of the Bridgewater College community to gather during designated home football competitions in a fun, safe, festive, and inclusive environment. Bridgewater College, in conjunction with the Department of Athletics and Campus Police and Safety, encourages spectators to create a positive game-day atmosphere.
In accordance with College policy and ABC regulations, tailgating with alcohol is only permitted in College-designated areas and only by persons who are 21 years of age or older. Bridgewater College prohibits the consumption or possession of alcoholic beverages by underage persons; nor does it sanction or permit the violation of federal, state, or local laws, or College policy. The possession and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages on Bridgewater College campus property is subject to federal and state law and all College policies and regulations. All members of the Bridgewater community and campus visitors are expected to obey all laws and regulations.
Location and Times
- The College allows tailgating with alcohol in Mapp Field for home football games. College-sanctioned tailgating activities are only permitted on designated home football competition days from three hours prior to the kickoff to one hour following the conclusion of the competition (excluding evening competitions, in which case the tailgating area will close immediately following the conclusion of the competition). On Homecoming, lots open at 10 a.m., regardless of the start of the game.
- Parking spaces in Mapp Field are offered on a “first come, first served” basis. To ensure a tailgating space, online reservations are encouraged. The College cannot guarantee a space in Mapp Field for those without an online reservation. Parking spots in Mapp Field are $35 per game and $135 for the season. Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. Each person entering Mapp Field (by vehicle or on foot) is required to have a season pass, game ticket or valid BC I.D. Digital tickets are available for pre-purchase online or with a valid credit card at the gate on game day. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
- No RVs are allowed in tailgating areas. RV parking is only allowed on campus on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Campus Police and Safety at 540-515-3756 for more information.
- Should all spaces in Mapp Field be reserved/occupied, overflow tailgating with alcohol would be permitted in the Alumni Gym parking lot (nearest the baseball field). This area will be available for tailgating ONLY on the day of the event when deemed necessary by the College. Tailgating spaces in this lot are $15 each and available first-come, first-served on game days. Fans of visiting teams who wish to tailgate are to do so in Alumni Gym lot.
- Because tailgating is a multiple-hour event with limited space, attendees are encouraged to arrive at Mapp Field early within the three hours prior to the kickoff when tailgating begins. On Homecoming, lots open at 10 a.m. Reserved spaces will only be held until halftime. While attendees are encouraged to leave their vehicles parked for the entirety of the competition, attendees may vacate the tailgating lot with their vehicles, but vehicles will not be permitted re-entry. Individuals will be permitted to re-enter on foot.
- College-sanctioned tailgating is only permitted in designated areas of campus. Alcohol is not permitted outside the tailgating areas. When guests leave the designated tailgate area, they must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
- Each person entering Mapp Field (by vehicle or on foot) is required to have a season pass, game ticket or valid BC I.D. Digital tickets are available for pre-purchase online and at the gate with a valid credit card. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
- Those of legal drinking age (21 and older) must provide legal identification and proof of age and will be provided a wristband enabling them to consume alcohol. While fans of any age will be allowed entry to tailgating areas, only those of legal drinking age and with a visible wristband will be able to consume alcohol.
- Tailgaters are not permitted to use adjacent parking spaces or obstruct driving lanes or pedestrian walkways when setting up personal items, including, but not limited to, tables, chairs, tents, grills, and games/activities.
- Emergency access lanes must be maintained at all times. Do not block these areas.
- Parking for the purposes of tailgating is prohibited in any area outside of Mapp Field, unless the Alumni Gym lot by the baseball field has been opened by College personnel for overflow. All other parking on campus is limited to designated parking lots. A visitor tailgating section will be provided in the Alumni Gym lot for each home game.
- We want everyone to have a great experience! We ask that fans be respectful of those around them and remain mindful of their choice of language and activity. Individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner that reflects positively on Bridgewater College at all times. Individuals acting in a manner that is disrespectful, disruptive, or disorderly or persons interfering with the rights of other people by use of loud and/or abusive language and behavior will be asked to leave College property and may be subject to citation or arrest. Students will be subject to the student code of conduct. Public intoxication, disorderly conduct or other unlawful or reckless conduct are prohibited and will result in removal and being banned from future tailgating events.
- The following elements are not considered part of an acceptable tailgating atmosphere and will be cause for disbanding with attendees removed from the tailgating lot:
- Common containers such as kegs, party balls, large containers of mixed drinks, beer tubs, trash cans of beer
- Loud music
- Drinking games
- Underage drinking
- Lack of food
- Large or excessive quantities of alcohol
- Large numbers of people
- The person who purchased the parking space within the tailgating zone is referred to as the “tailgate pass holder.” When this person entertains guests, they become a Host. The Host is responsible for informing his or her guests and visitors of tailgating guidelines.
- The Host is also responsible for the safety and behavior or his or her guests, to include the consumption of alcohol, as well as the behavior and actions of an intoxicated guest to whom he or she has served alcohol. Both hosts and guests may be held liable for guest behavior.
- Noise levels for personal music (either coming from a car stereo or portable speakers in the tailgating area) must be kept at a reasonable volume.
- Any current Bridgewater student found to be acting in a disruptive manner may be subject to disciplinary action in accordance with The Eagle student handbook (.pdf) as well as any federal, state or local laws.
- Individuals are responsible for keeping the area clean. Trash cans and recycling bins are available. Please clean up your area before leaving campus.
- Open-flame fires, charcoal or wood grills, fire pits, bonfires, oil-based cooking or frying, electric generators, and propane tanks with capacity greater than 20 lbs. are prohibited.
- All individuals of legal drinking age (21 or older) must present legal identification and proof of age to appropriate law enforcement, event staff or College personnel upon entry to tailgating areas and when requested to do so after entry. Individuals without proper identification or who are not of legal drinking age who are in violation of the tailgating guidelines are subject to penalty up to and including removal from campus, appropriate criminal charges and prohibition from future participation.
- Alcoholic beverages and containers are strictly prohibited from the competition venue or any other part of campus outside of Mapp Field. When guests leave the designated tailgate area, they must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
- The consumption of alcohol by minors (those under 21 years of age) or the serving of alcohol to minors is a violation of federal and state law as well as the College alcohol policy and will NOT be tolerated. Individuals supplying alcoholic beverages to those under the legal drinking age may be ticketed, arrested and/or subject to College sanctions.
- Wristbands are provided for all persons of legal drinking age (21 or older); all persons in possession of or consuming alcohol must have their wristband visible at all times.
- All items and vehicles are subject to inspection (e.g. backpacks, bags, cups, coolers). All containers will also be inspected for those under 21.
- No alcohol, unauthorized products or merchandise may be sold on the premises.
- No student organization or group may distribute alcohol.
- Drinking games and all associated drinking paraphernalia, including drinking styles that encourage excessive alcohol consumption (including but not limited to: funnels, “waterfalling,” “shot-gunning” and beer bongs) are prohibited.
- Alcohol may be carried into the Mapp Field tailgating area by those 21 and older who are arriving by foot. Any alcohol carried into the area must be concealed by a cooler or bag and cannot be visible when carried throughout campus. Carrying an open container of alcohol on public streets or sidewalks is illegal, regardless of age. Any containers not in a cooler or bag will be confiscated.
- Common-source containers of alcohol meant for transporting, sharing, serving and/or mixing alcohol in large quantities are prohibited. These containers include but are not limited to kegs, half barrels, pony kegs or other common alcohol containers.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol is illegal. Commonwealth of Virginia drinking and driving laws will be enforced in and around the tailgating area as well as the entire campus and the public roads near campus.
- Transportation of people in the backs/beds of trucks is prohibited. People are also prohibited from standing in or on top of vehicles.
- Tailgating activities can take place in your parking space and the area directly behind your space. Please ensure enough space for everyone to enjoy the area and be able to walk through the tailgating area. Large crowds that block egress lanes are prohibited.
- For the safety of all in attendance, the use of recreational items including, but not limited to, bicycles, skateboards, hover boards, in-line skates, and motorized vehicles such as scooters, ATVs, go-carts, and golf carts is prohibited within the tailgating area.
- For the safety of all attendees, no pets or animals, other than service animals, are permitted in the tailgating area.
- The safety and security of personal property is the sole responsibility of its owner; do not leave any personal property unattended.
- Bridgewater College is not responsible, nor will be held liable, for accidents, damages, loss or theft of materials, items, or personal property.
- All members of your tailgating group and guests must review all tailgating guidelines.
- Contact Campus Police & Safety (540-578-5609) for all emergencies.
IMPORTANT NOTE: VIOLATORS ARE SUBJECT TO PROVISIONS OF VIRGINIA LAW AND REMOVAL FROM BRIDGEWATER COLLEGE PROPERTY, INCLUDING FORFEITED GAME TICKETS/RETURN ENTRY INTO THE STANDS.
Bridgewater Campus Police & Safety, Event Staff, and additional local law enforcement agencies will maintain an active presence during all tailgating activities and will respond accordingly to any violations or emergencies.
To ensure the appropriate celebratory environment is maintained, the College reserves the right to revoke the tailgating privileges of any individual(s) for reason of safety, disruption of the peace, or failure to adhere to policies and regulations.
Bridgewater College reserves the right to amend these guidelines at any time and for any reason, including closing any parking lots, and to place additional restrictions or conditions on persons entering areas where tailgating is allowed.
Where does tailgating take place?
The College has designated a large area of Mapp Field for tailgating. A section of Alumni Gym lot will be designated for visiting-team tailgating. In the event that Mapp Field reaches capacity, the College will designate the Alumni Gym lot (near the baseball field) as an overflow area for tailgating ONLY on the day of the event. All other areas and lots on campus will be for parking only, no tailgating/picnicking of any kind.
When can I tailgate?
Tailgating is permitted on designated home football game days. Fans may enter tailgating areas up to three hours in advance of the game. On Homecoming, lots open at 10 a.m. For daytime games, fans may remain in the tailgating areas for up to one hour after the conclusion of the game. For evening games, the tailgating areas will close immediately following the conclusion of the game.
Why is the College offering tailgating?
Except for College-sanctioned events, Bridgewater College does not permit students to possess or consume alcohol on campus or in residence halls. We understand that football spectators often wish to enjoy an alcoholic beverage on game day, and coordinated locations enable that to occur while ensuring the safety of our community and inspiring a festive game-day atmosphere.
How do I get a spot in Mapp Field?
Spaces in Mapp Field are available on a first-come, first-served basis and can be reserved online to ensure a spot. Once the spaces in Mapp Field are filled, the College may make the determination to open an overflow tailgating area in the Alumni Gym parking lot near the baseball field.
What is required for entry to Mapp Field?
Entrance to Mapp Field by vehicle requires a parking spot reservation. Any unreserved spots can be filled on the day of for $35 per game. You are encouraged to purchase parking spots in advance online. Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. Each person entering Mapp Field (by vehicle or on foot) is required to have a season pass, game ticket or valid BC I.D. Digital tickets are available for pre-purchase online or on game day with a valid credit card. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
What does it cost to tailgate?
For the 2022 season, a tailgating parking spot is $35 per game and $135 for the season. Parking fees do not include tickets to the game, which will need to be purchased separately. Each person entering Mapp Field (by vehicle or on foot) is required to have a season pass, game ticket or valid BC I.D. Digital tickets are available for pre-purchase online or on game day with a valid credit card. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
How do I purchase game tickets?
Digital tickets are available for pre-purchase online or on game day with a valid credit card. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
What happens if Mapp Field is full?
The College will make the determination to open an overflow tailgating area in the Alumni Gym parking lot near the baseball field. At that point, tailgaters without a reserved spot in Mapp Field will be rerouted to the overflow lot. Tailgating spaces in the Alumni Gym lot will be $15, to be paid via credit card upon entrance to the lot. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
What happens if it rains or storms?
Games take place rain or shine, but in the event of thunder or lightning the stadium will be cleared, and spectators will be directed to seek shelter in a nearby building or their cars until the storm has passed. Umbrellas are prohibited in the stadium.
I’m under 21. Can I still tailgate?
Yes, fans under 21 are permitted into the tailgating areas. Only those who are 21 years of age or older will receive a wristband permitting them to consume alcohol.
I’m a BC student. Can I consume alcohol in a tailgating area?
Yes, if you are 21 or over with a valid I.D.
What happens if I get caught drinking underage, acting disruptively or breaking any of the College’s tailgating guidelines?
Depending on the infraction, you may be asked to leave, have your tailgating privileges revoked for future games, and/or face arrest or disciplinary action by the College, if a student.
Can I select my tailgating spot?
Yes. By registering online, you can select your spot on a map of Mapp Field.
Can I play music?
We have neighbors near campus and need to be respectful of those around us. For that reason, individuals are expected to conduct themselves in a respectful manner that reflects positively on Bridgewater College at all times. Individuals acting in a manner that is disrespectful, disruptive or disorderly or persons interfering with the rights of other people by use of loud and/or abusive language and behavior will be asked to leave College property and may be subject to citation or arrest. Noise levels for personal music (either coming from a car stereo or portable speakers in the tailgating area) must be kept at a reasonable volume.
Can I grill food?
Propane grills with no more than standard, 20-pound tanks are permitted. The use of wood and charcoal grills, open-flame fires and fire pits, deep fryers and electric generators is prohibited.
Can I carry alcohol into a tailgating area if arriving on foot?
Alcohol may be carried into a tailgating area by those 21 and older who are arriving by foot. Any alcohol carried into the area must be concealed by a covering or bag and cannot be visible when carried throughout campus.
What can’t be brought into a tailgating area?
In addition to the prohibited grills listed above, common-source alcohol containers such as kegs, funnels and beer bongs are not permitted. Pets are also not permitted.
Can we play games?
Common tailgating games such as corn hole are permitted but must not obstruct access lanes. All drinking games are prohibited.
What must I do before exiting a tailgating area?
Before leaving, please clean up all trash from your tailgating area, placing it in one of the many garbage cans located throughout Mapp Field. If you are leaving an area on foot, note that you cannot exit with an open container and must leave alcoholic beverages in the designated tailgate area.
I’m a fan of the visiting team. Where do I park/tailgate?
Visitor tailgating will be permitted in a designated section of the Alumni Gym lot near the baseball field. Entrance to this tailgating area will be $15 per vehicle to be paid via credit card upon entrance to the lot. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day.
Are RVs allowed on Mapp Field?
No, RV parking is only allowed on campus on a case-by-case basis. Please contact Campus Police and Safety at 540-515-3756 for more information.
I don’t want to tailgate or picnic and just want to park. Where do I go?
Reserved parking will be available in the Alumni Gym lot $15 per game and $75 for the season. Season passes are available for pre-purchase online. Game day passes are on a first-come, first-served basis to be paid via credit card upon entrance to the lot. Please note, no cash will be accepted on game day. All other lots on campus are for general parking. Follow the signs when you arrive to campus.
Can I bring my pet?
For the safety of all those in attendance, no pets or animals, other than service animals, are permitted in the tailgating area or stadium.
I have other questions.
Please refer to the Bridgewater College Tailgating Guidelines. If, upon review of the guidelines, you have remaining questions, please contact the Department of Athletics at 540-828-5476 or BCathletics@bridgewater.edu during regular business hours.
Questions? Contact Us!
Department of Athletics