All residence halls will be closed during official college breaks (Fall Break, Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break and April Break).
For safety reasons, students will need to find alternative housing during those periods unless granted an exception. If a student needs to remain on campus during a college break, they must fill out the appropriate form for an exception to be granted. A separate form must be completed for each break that the student is requesting to stay. Reasons exceptions may be granted include academic reasons, work, and transportation if the student lives a considerable distance from campus.
Completing an application does not mean that a student is guaranteed to stay. Students should make alternate plans should they not be granted permission to stay. Students who are approved to stay on campus for a personal (non-College related) reason (including off-campus work and distance from campus) will pay a fee of $35 per night for every night they are on campus during a break period. Students who are staying on campus due to athletics or are working with a faculty or staff member for academic or employment reasons will not be charged the break housing fee. An email from the faculty or staff member will be required to waive this fee. Any student who does not request or is not approved to stay on campus during a break period will be asked to leave the residence halls immediately, and will be fined $50, and may face additional conduct charges.
Any student who does not fill out the form and receive approval to stay over the break will be asked to leave the residence halls immediately.
Residential housing will be closed for the following official College breaks in 2019-2020:
- Fall Break: Buildings close on Friday, October 4, 2019, at 6 p.m. and open on Tuesday, October 8, 2019 at 1 p.m. Break Housing Request forms will be emailed out to the student body with deadlines included.
- Thanksgiving Break: Buildings close on Tuesday, November 26, 2019 at 6 p.m. and open on Sunday, December 1, 2019 at 1 p.m. Break Housing Request forms will be emailed out to the student body with deadlines included.
- Winter Break: Buildings close on Friday, December 13, 2019, at 6 p.m. and open on Sunday, January 5, 2020, at 1 p.m. for Spring Semester. Break Housing Request forms will be emailed out to the student body with deadlines included. *Requests will only be accepted for December 13–20 and January 2-5. No students will be permitted on campus between December 21 and January 1.
- Spring Break: Buildings close on February 28, 2020, at 6 p.m. and open on Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 1 p.m. Break Housing Request forms will be emailed out to the student body with deadlines included.
- April Break: Buildings close on Thursday, April 9, 2020, at 6 p.m. and open on Monday, April 13, 2020 at 1 p.m. Break Housing Request forms will be emailed out to the student body with deadlines included.
Please note that food service is not available during these breaks. The dining hall will be closed during the same dates and times as the residence halls. The first meal served following an official break is dinner the night that residence halls open. The last meal served before an official break is lunch the day of closure, ending at 2:30 p.m.
Guests are also not permitted when residence halls are closed during official breaks, as well as when residence halls are closed before residence halls open for fall semester and after residence halls close for spring semester.
The department of Student Life will work in conjunction with the athletic and education departments to ensure all housing needs for appropriate in-season student-athletes/trainers and student teachers are met during break periods (excluding Winter Break as students will not be permitted to reside on campus except for the first two days of this break). In-season student athletes/trainers and current student teachers do not need to complete a request form as lists will be acquired from the appropriate departments.