Skip to main content

May Term FAQs

Am I required to take a May Term course?
Students are not required to take a May Term course. However, no refund for tuition, room or board will be given to students who do not attend May Term.

I am scheduled to graduate in May. Can I take a May Term course after graduation?
A graduating senior may take a May Term course, but the degree will not be conferred until after May Term. The student will walk at graduation and participate in all graduation activities, but graduation status will not be conferred until the May Term class grade has been posted to a student’s transcript.

I am not seeking a degree from Bridgewater College. Can I register for a May Term course?
These opportunities are limited to degree-seeking Bridgewater College students.

Is there a fee to attend May Term?
In order to better ensure that all students have an opportunity to take May Term courses, students who enroll in fall 2017 or later will have two May Terms included in their tuition. Students may enroll in additional May Terms for an additional tuition fee, plus a residential fee if applicable.

All current students (enrolled for spring semester 2017 or earlier) will continue to have May Term included in their annual tuition and fees, just as the January Interterm was included in annual tuition fees at the time they first enrolled. This will remain as long as they are enrolled at BC and have not graduated. For example, a current freshman (2016-17) may enroll in the May 2018, May 2019 and May 2020 terms at no additional cost.

There may be additional charges to students enrolled in May Term courses involving travel, off-campus housing or other expenses.

Do I have to live on campus?
Any student who is a residential student in the spring can reside on campus with no additional fees for room and board, if they are enrolled in a “fee-included” May Term. Living on campus during May Term is not mandatory. However, no refund for tuition, room or board will be given to students who do not attend May Term or who decide to live off campus. Please note that summer school sessions do have an additional cost for living on campus.

Where will I live during May Term?
All May Term and summer students who reside on campus will live in summer housing. The location of the summer housing building(s) changes from year to year, depending on facilities projects scheduled for the summer. Residence Life sends out information in late April regarding summer housing, including the summer housing building(s), move-over schedule, and the sign-up process.

If I will be leaving for a travel abroad course, do I have to move out of my spring room?
If the student will not be on campus at all during the May Term, items can stay in the spring room until the student returns. If the travel period is for several days and the student has to remain on campus additional days to complete the class, the student will need to move to a room in the summer housing residential building. Additional questions can be emailed to

If I don’t live on campus, will I get a refund for the residential fee?
No refund for tuition, room or board will be given to students who decide to live off campus.

Are commuter meal plans available?
Any unused swipes from spring will carry over to May Term. If commuters wish to have additional meals, dining dollars or pay the student meal rate by debit or credit card at the KCC cashier is recommended as any unused swipes will not carry over to fall semester.

What dining options will be available during May Term?
The dining facility will be operating on a reduced schedule during May Term. Dining will open on Wednesday, May 8 for breakfast and close on Friday, May 24 after lunch.

Dining hours will be:

Monday – Friday

Breakfast: 7–9 a.m.
Lunch: 11–1 p.m.
Dinner: 5–7 p.m.

Saturday and Sunday

Breakfast: 7–9 a.m.
Brunch: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
Dinner: 5–7 p.m.

The Crimson Café will be closed and Take 5 will not be an option.

The dining facility will work with any special requests.

Are there any meal credit refunds for travel classes or classes that require I live off campus, such as internships?
No refund for tuition, room or board will be given.

What is the cost per credit once I exceed the two sessions that are included in my tuition costs?
The cost per credit will be the same as a summer session cost per credit, plus a $40 registration fee.

What is the cost to live on campus once I exceed the two sessions that are included in my tuition costs?
A weekly rate will be established, which includes room and board. The rate has not yet been determined.

Can I live on campus and not eat meals?
Any student that is living on campus for May Term will have meals included. If a student chooses to not eat meals, no refunds for tuition, room or board will be given.

When do travel expenses need to be paid?
The class professor will inform students during travel course orientation meetings of the due dates for travel payments. Typically, payments are due in several increments with the entire cost paid in full by the date determined by the professor. All trips are to be paid for prior to May Term. Specific questions should be addressed to the class professor.

Is financial aid available for May Term expenses, such as travel?
Institutional aid is not available for May Term.

Can I apply for a loan to cover travel expenses?
Loans are limited to any remaining eligibility not used during the preceding fall and spring semesters. If you are interested in exploring your loan options, please email the financial aid office at prior to March 1.

Can I use a surplus credit on my student account to pay for travel?
A student can use an account credit surplus to make travel payments. Please stop by student accounts located in Rebecca Hall 206, 207 or 208 to complete the funds transfer form. You may also email from your Bridgewater email account to give your approval for the transfer of funds to the travel account.