The Office for Community Engagement and Sustainability (located in the Center for Engaged Learning) is a central point of contact both for community engagement and sustainability programs across campus and in the local community. The office provides BC students with opportunities to get connected to the local community through volunteer work, and it supports sustainable practices and programs.
- Recommends and coordinates sustainability programs
- Promotes energy conservation and the recycling program on campus
- Serves as a resource for students and faculty
- Researches and recommends grant opportunities
As a BC student, the Office will provide opportunities for you to:
- Work on campus, with programs such as recycling or composting
- Be an intern with the Center for a semester
- Attend and present at conferences and workshops related to the environment and sustainability
- It connects you with the opportunity to explore and live out your civic responsibilities and enhance your values and beliefs.
- You can provide valuable human resources to local non‑profit organizations, as well as building your network for future jobs.
- You can strengthen your skills in communication, collaboration and leadership, which are essential in today’s job market.
- Volunteering helps all of us become better citizens, who are connected to our communities and productive in our careers.
BC students have volunteered with organizations including:
- Blue Ridge Area Food Bank
- Bridgewater Retirement Community
- Cat’s Cradle
- Explore More Discovery Museum (Harrisonburg children’s museum)
- The Free Clinic
- Sentara RMH Medical Center
- United Way of Harrisonburg and Rockingham County
- VPM (Virginia public media, including NPR and PBS stations)
- The Wildlife Center of Virginia
Annual sustainability events include:
- America Recycles Day (fall)
- Great American Smoke‑Out Day (fall)
- RecycleMania Tournament (spring)
- World Water Conservation Day (spring)
- Earth Hour (spring)
- Earth Day (spring)
- Move‑Out Exchange and Give waste reduction program (end of each semester)