Excel at communication
Your English degree from Bridgewater College gives you an exceptional foundation for careers in areas such as education, law, government and journalism. It will also prepare you for graduate study in literature or writing. Whatever you choose, you will excel in oral and written communication in your chosen field.
Specific requirements for this major can be found in the College Catalog.
- Present at the Virginia Humanities Conference and other associations and conferences.
- Do independent study in collaboration with a faculty member in poetry, memoir, science writing and more
- Join BC’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society. Email Dr. Christian Sheridan or Dr. Scott Suter for more information.
- Be a tutor for the Writing Center
- Write for BC Voice, the College’s online, student-run news organization
- Study abroad for a semester in England or one of dozens of other countries
What can you do with your English degree?
Like many BC graduates, you might enter graduate schools such as:
- Clarion University of Pennsylvania (Master of Library Science)
- University of Delaware (M.A./Ph.D. in Communication)
- Indiana University (Ph.D. in English)
- James Madison University (M.A. in English)
- Lehigh University (Ph.D. in English)
- Ohio State University (M.A./Ph.D. in English)
- Pennsylvania State University (Ph.D. in Anthropology)
- Rutgers University (M.A. in English)
- University of Tennessee (M.A./Ph.D. in English)
- University of Virginia (M.A./Ph.D. in English, Ph.D. in German Literature and Culture)
- Wake Forest University (M.A. in English)
Or pursue a career in:
- Higher education
- Non-profit agencies
- Sports information
- Teaching (elementary and secondary education)