The purpose of this policy is to ensure civil discourse on the college’s social media channels. The policy outlines inappropriate behavior that is moderated by page administrators to limit the community’s exposure to harassment, profanity, discrimination, name-calling, unsolicited advertising, spam, or hostility.
This Policy applies to all official Bridgewater College social media accounts managed by staff, faculty or students for departments, clubs, offices or programs affiliated with the college.
This Policy does not apply to personal social media accounts.
Social Media – Websites and applications that enable users to create, share and comment on content or to participate in social networking.
Bridgewater College (BC) welcomes civil discourse on its many social media accounts. We reserve the right to review and moderate all comments and will hide or remove any that our social media team deems inappropriate. Inappropriate comments include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Bullying, discrimination, name-calling, harassment, threats of violence, unlawful conduct and other personal attacks on individuals, staff, faculty, students or the institution. Severe threats will be reported to the appropriate authorities.
- Unsolicited advertising or spam in general
- Profanity, sexualized or suggestive language
- Memes, graphics and outside links
- Personal or identifying information about another person without their explicit consent
- Comments or posts that are irrelevant to the topic
- Intentionally instigating conflict, hostility or arguments, otherwise known as “trolling.”
Our social media team and page administrators will moderate all comments in a timely manner. Inappropriate content is screen captured and removed at the earliest opportunity.
We reserve the right to delete, hide, restrict or mark as spam any and all comments based on the above criteria. Users may be banned, blocked or restricted from individual or multiple social media pages based on repetitive issues or perceived severity of threats/attacks.
Opinions expressed in public comments do not reflect official positions of Bridgewater College. Any community-contributed content is the opinion of the author and does not represent the views of BC. Bridgewater College abides by the terms of service of all social media platforms. We encourage users to use the “Report” links, when available, if they find content that is abusive.
Please help BC maintain a social media presence that reflects the best of civil discourse. Thank you.